Friday, February 12, 2010

Sugar and spice and everything funny...

There is something truly good to be said of naivete. Normally, this would not be a statement I would make because I hate it when people are hopeful (because they don't know anything) then are horribly disappointed because they didn't know any better.

But there is A LOT to be said for naivete. I think that something said in that innocence can really humble the high-minded. Now, I am rarely the one caught in naivete - I'm just too suspicious of folks and motives and such, not because I am wise but because I have been hurt. But there are times where I wish I was - just for the sake of shaming people based on some of the things that I hear people say.

For instance, a close, awesome person to me saw the parents of her friend at a gym. Now, my close friend knows that the parents harass her friend about her weight - I have seen my buddy's friend, she is very healthy. These parents, upon seeing my buddy, did not say "hello" or "how are you?" but rather "tell ---- to come to the gym". Now, my friend, saddened by this, could manage a "sure." But she told me in the car she had wished she knew what to say. To which I said, "You should have just played dumb and said, 'why? She looks fine.' and acted innocent." She told me, "That's EXACTLY what I should have said." I think we were both hoping to shock them then hoping further they would feel shame later.

At that moment, I thought, there is SO much to be said for people who think highly and wonderfully of others to the point they are so distracted from mentioning the negative attributes they have. THERE ARE NEGATIVE THINGS about ALL of us - there are things we do wrong, say wrong, live wrong, and just plain are wrong. But what if we had people who, by God's grace (and perhaps blindness), thought the world of us, defended us blindly (without sounding or trying to be defensive), what a shame everyone would feel for their judgments and lack of Grace. Myself included. It's at these moments where I wished that I simply was sublime in all of my thoughts - just to feel that simplistic and happy reflection. But often, I'm suspecting ulterior motives, weighing the possibilities and probabilities, and running the stats of just about everything. But to stop for one day...hmmm....

But alas, often, I do try to make other laugh, at least, about shortcomings (especially mine). I'm very connective, remembering details that tie together, and so I use THAT to my advantage. But what if I just forgot things, not trying to be funny or fine-tune my thoughts, but it meant that I thought well of all, and not just some with a bit of humor?

Just some rambling...I honestly wish that I had some serious absent-mindedness, because there are those times where I want to unintentionally put folks who say rude things in their place. Blindsiding with positivity and well-meaning words is effective, especially when done without mental calculation.

No comments:

Post a Comment